(cnn)
Chinese dissident and artist Ai Weiwei has turned the cameras on himself.

On the first anniversary of his arrest at Beijing airport, the internationally-renowned artist and outspoken government critic has installed live web cameras at his home, a wink to the 24-hour police surveillance he has been under since his release.

"In my life, there is so much surveillance and monitoring -- my phone, my computer ... Our office has been searched, I have been searched, every day I am being followed, there are surveillance cameras in front of my house," he said, in quotes carried by Agence France-Presse.

"So I was wondering, why don't I put some (cameras) in there so people can see all my activities. I can do that and I hope the other party (authorities) can also show some transparency."

Four cameras, positioned over his computer, bed, and courtyard, broadcast a 24-hour live feed at weiweicam.com.
(more)